Saturday, June 28, 2008

What A Day!

What an incredible Saturday we had! We were pleasantly surprised to see this morning that it finally stopped raining. Yesterday was wet, miserable and cold! I even turned my heat on last night to take off the chill. But today was a whole different story. We had blue sky and sunshine! It was magnificent. We had many errands to run so we were really happy we had good weather for it. Anywhoooo...in the midst of our running around we were on our way to the Rec. Center when we noticed a new "tour" in town. It's called "Crazy Dave's Reptile Tour". I had seen signs for it and passed it many times but today something extra special caught our attention in the form of a HUGE tortoise walking down the street with someone whom I'm pretty sure was "Crazy Dave". So, of course, Tony and Jake want to jump out and check out the situation. So, since it was so nice out and because we just don't see this sort of thing everyday, I happily obliged them. I waited in the car because there was such a crowd gathered around and, well, I'm just not much of a "crowd" person any more. So, the boys ran over, checked out the turtle and talked to the girl sitting outside holding a snake. Yes...I said SNAKE! Anyway, they made their way back to the car and upon getting inside Tony tells me they give a break to locals. Instead of $10 for the "tour" it is only $5. I'm thinking...that's a pretty good deal. So, needless to say, we decide to take the whole tour. As you will see from pics below...it was quite impressive. I'm not much into reptiles and snakes but this guy (Crazy Dave) had quite a collection. It was better than I expected. Pretty cool for Ketchikan and especially cool to a 9 year old boy.



This is the tortoise I mentioned above. She is 17 years old. A mear "baby" since they live to be 200 or so!






This is "Ms. Piggy. Her snout is turned up like a pig. She is a very cool-looking snake!

This is the "underbelly" of Ms. Piggy. I thought she had neat markings on the bottom. :)




Say Cheese!













This guy made me a little nervous. I didn't want to pet him. Notice the cute little "harness" they wear so they can go out for a walk! LOL!!



No comments: