Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Updates

A lot of folks have been asking about Marina so I thought I would post a little more tonight. The last few days have been "big" days. You must remember, she has a pretty major brain injury so progress is slow. Today we found out she has what's called a "shearing brain injury" which doesn't show up on a scan (google it for more details). This is one of the harder injuries to recover from and it explains why she is in so much pain and having all the problems that she is. I can't remember how much I already posted so I'll just tell you what I know and go from there.

Anyway, as far as her head injury goes...it's going to be a longer recovery than we anticipated. That being said...she still has a LOT going for her and things could have been much worse. Like I said above, she is still suffering from a tremendous headache, double-vision, and sensitivity to light. It's hard for her to open her eyes...the room starts spinning when she does. There was a call to the "neuro" doc today and he did have some encouraging things to say. He said everything she is experiencing is completely normal and that a trip south is not necessary (there was earlier talk of her taking the Life Flight to Seattle for a full neuro work-up.) He said they are doing everything for her here that they would do down below. This was VERY good news!!

She is now getting out of bed on a regular basis and even snuck out of bed to shower today...much to the dismay of the nurses! We're going to have to duct tape her to the bed!! LOL!! The fact that she's up and about is a really good sign. She's moving SLOW mind you...I was shocked to hear she got up on her own. That's pretty significant progress!

I think that's all I can think of for now. Her doc has ordered all kinds of rehab therapy for her and she is really anxious to get started. She was ticked they didn't show up today! I told her "be careful what you wish for." :) They'll be kickin' her fanny soon enough!!

If anyone has questions or concerns, please feel free to call me at 821-1580 for further updates.

On a lighter note...we are plugging along here at the Newell household. Tony has been very patient with me not being around as much...always stopping at the hospital etc. He's been very busy and even put in a 12 hour day on Saturday. Jake was "Student of the Week" 2 weeks ago....I didn't get around to posting it with everything that was going on. He is so awesome!! I am a very lucky mom!!!

I am still leaving on Friday for Portland. It will be really good to get away for a few days to check on my mom. Oh my word!!! I forgot to post that my sister had her baby!! Clara Maria was born on Mother's Day!!!! I can't wait to see her on this trip. My sister is doing well and settling in to having a new baby again. I will post pics when I get back.

For those wondering...my mom hasn't had any more problems. She is wearing a heart monitor right now as they are trying to find out what made her collapse on May 4th. She had one more "episode" of heart palpitations on the 7th...but she didn't pass out. I just hope they can figure something out in the NEAR future. At least I know they are keeping a close eye on her and I don't worry so much.

Well..that's it for now. I need to get to bed. I've been fighting a cold for a few days now.

Keep your prayers coming everyone!!! Love, Nan XOX

No comments: