Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Rollin' Into March...Under a Deep Freeze!

Wow! I can't believe it's been 9 days since I last posted! And March? WHAT? We would expect that spring is right around the corner but it's been SO cold out it doesn't seem possible. Over the last several days we have experienced a roller coaster of weather and it's just about to get worse. I heard this morning that it's been almost 3 weeks since it rained....which makes sense because it's been either clear and REALLY cold or it's been snowing. Hard to believe for this time of year in SE Alaska!! Rain isn't ideal...but at least you don't have to shovel it!! :) Anyway, so we've just been hanging on and staying warm and waiting for spring. Jake can't wait for spring break...and ME TOO! I've decided to take the week off work to finish unpacking the house. Did I mention this already? I probably did...oh well. Just consider it a "reminder". It will be my first (and hopefully last) "staycation". Google it if you don't know what that means. I can barely stand the thought of actually staying HOME when I have an entire week off work but 1. I NEED TO UNPACK!! and 2. I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO TRAVEL! (That's what happens when you buy a house!) Sigh...enough said on that one. I swear, tho, if I hear ONE MORE PERSON tell me they are going to Hawaii I just might SMACK 'EM!! Seriously!! What is the deal with EVERYONE going to Hawaii lately?? SIGH!!!!!!

Anyway, work has been crazy...we've had two new candidates come thru in the last week and we hired one today. We recently lost two therapists (3 actually) so we've been short staffed as of late. But today, we offered a job to a very nice therapist named Annie. She comes to us from Seattle and she fits right in. She even loves rain! I guess I should back up a bit and mention that we also recently hired a very nice man from Idaho....and we like him too. So, we are slowly getting back on track and will hopefully hire one more therapist soon to be completely staffed. It's been a bit stressful to say the least...it always is when people go and new people come in. You have to start all over getting to know them and their "style" etc...etc....it's quite a "dance". It's not easy and sometimes you get very attached (which stinks when they leave!!). We can't help but become like a family down there...a great, big, diverse, dysfunctional family!!! LOL!!! I'm kidding...it's not always dysfunctional. But if you know anything about Mental Health...you know what I'm talking about!!

But enough about work...I try really hard these days to put work behind me and focus on enjoying our new home. I haven't done any new projects since finishing the bathroom. Unpacking is my main focus for now. I need to get the guest room together also...which I'm rethinking these days regarding the "location". Right now it's right under OUR bedroom...I don't think it's going to "work". LOL!! There's NO privacy for anyone. I don't want to make Jake give up his room...and if I use the other room downstairs I will HAVE to paint...and right now it's DARK BLUE. It would be a big job to paint it. Sigh...I guess I don't have to paint right away but it's so darn ugly!! I want the guest room to be an "oasis" so to speak. Maybe that will be project #2. Actually it will be #3 since the room is currently FULL of boxes...and I'm not even kidding. I will have to take a pic so you will see what I'm up against in the next 3 weeks.

Jake is doing great in school...I feel I should mention that. I can hardly believe he's in 6th grade and almost in Jr. High. We have a teacher conference next week...then spring break the week of the 21st...then before we know it school will be out. Holy Cow...the time FLIES!! Only good thing about that is it will be SUMMER!! I can't wait for summer...my favorite season. Course, between painting the house and working out in the yard...there won't be much time for enjoying it. I do plan to try to get to Petersburg in July to see my friend at her family's cabin right on the beach. She has 4 kids and it will be paradise for Jake. I also want to get over to POW again to stay with Jaqie and her dad and hopefully do some fishing. We'll see....that's a ways off and just a DREAM at the moment. It's not as if the ferry is "cheap" and getting the time off work will be a challenge...only b/c I will need time off to paint the house when we get nice weather. PLEASE LORD...let it be a nice summer!!!!!!! Amen!!!!!!!

OK...I better go check on dinner. I can smell garlic coming from the kitchen. Just thought I'd drop a little line before too much time went by. I heard there's a big storm heading our way so maybe I'll have something exciting to report next time I'm blogging.

Hope you all are well and I'll see you soon!!!! XOXO Nanette

P.S. One exciting thing of note...the days are getting LONG!! It's getting light really early now and it's not dark until after 6pm. This is EXCITING...and...drum roll please...I have SURVIVED another winter in Alaska y'all!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I deserve a fricken medal....Yep. :)

No comments: