Thursday, September 3, 2009

False Alarm

So, last night my dear friend, Julie, came by for something. I don't even remember what it was. Oh yeah...the newspaper. We get it daily...she doesn't. Now mind you...she's VERY pregnant right now. She has only 3 weeks to go before her scheduled "due date". Actually, it's a scheduled C-Section since she's already had two and they frown on VBACs in this town. Don't ask me what that is b/c the men reading this blog...and those that can't handle any kind of talk of an OB/Gyn nature will be screaming at me. Basically it's just a "normal" delivery after you've already had a C-section...they can be dangerous and being on this island it's something they just don't care to do. SO ANYWAY...sheesh...didn't mean to go off on that tangit! LOL!!! So, Julie pops in looking like she's got a basketball under her blouse. She tells me that she is starting to feel contractions and feels she could have the baby any day now. So, my radar goes up (knowing her hubs is out of town) and I tell her (more like instruct and demand) that I will leave my phone by my bed at night and NO MATTER WHAT she is to call me NO MATTER WHAT time it is. I will take her to the hospital. So, yada, yada, yada and she was on her merry way with paper in tow. We went on with our evening. Now...I didn't mention that MONTHS ago...when she first found out that her eggo was preggo...Hee Hee...she asked me if I'd be willing to go into the surgery with her in the event Chris (the hubs) couldn't be there. I said "OF COURSE" with a LOT of enthusiasm! Who would say "no" to that?!? Well, apparently, not everyone is excited about witnessing that sort of thing cuz I'm the only one she asked. I was/am up for the mission if I'm needed. Enough said...it was/is a done deal.

Sooooooo....back to last night. I went to bed and by some miracle remembered to put the cell phone next to us on the dresser. We konked out...happy to be in bed before 11pm. LOL! It was probably 10:45ish at this time. Anywho......so I'm in dreamland and at 2:21am...you guessed it. The cell phone goes off! Now...I had forgotten to tell Tony my plan and warn him the phone *could* quite possibly be going off at any time. So, of course, he has a heart attack as I grab the phone. For a nanno-second I think it's my alarm going off and thank goodness remembered in time that THIS WAS IT!!! I don't think I've woken up that fast in my life after only a few hours of sleep. Sure enough...it was Julie...and it WAS TIME to go to the hospital. I was excited...she was in pain (poor thing).

I got ready to go in about 10 minutes and went next door to get her. Her bag was packed..her mom was there with the kids. We were SET!! The adrenilin was flowing (keeping me awake)....we made it to the hospital in one piece...I didn't even speed. I was cool as a cucumber. I'm the right girl for the job!! :) I think we arrived around 3am to a not very excited crew. I guess if you've seen one woman in labor, you've seen them all?!? LOL! I remember feeling that way when I worked for the OB/Gyn...after a while it's just another pregnant lady!! LOL! Anyway...so we checked in, they hooked her up, etc...etc...they gave her fluids. All the standard stuff went down including some medicine to help stop contractions. It helped a lot to say the least. Julie wasn't suffering quite so badly. We started to realize rather quickly that this baby might not come just yet! So, after many hours, a lot of fluids, and another shot of medicine...it soon became apparent we may just be going home. In all actuality...this was for the best since the baby isn't due for 3 more weeks, right? Sigh........I saw my chance of being at this birth fizzle. Not only that, when Chris got wind of what was happening, he quickly made reservations to come home.

So, sure enough, after some more time went by, we got the word that Julie was not in what they considered "active labor" and were given the OK to go home. By then she was starving, thirsty, and exhausted...very ready to just GO HOME!!! Chris was on his way and all was right with the world once again.

So, here I am. 12 hours later...waiting. And I'm sure I'll wait some more. It could be a while...who knows!?! I'm just glad I could be there for whatever she needed even if I'm not at the main event. OH!! And that book I told you about?? Julie & Julia....BOY!! Did THAT ever come in handy!!!!!!! Thank goodness I had the wherewithall to remember to bring it!!! All that waiting is terrible without something to occupy yourself with! I made some great headway on this book...did I mention how good it is???? I can't wait to see the movie now!!!

So, that's it for today. Enough excitement for me for a while. I will sure sleep good tonight!

Love and Hugs~ Nan XOX

No comments: