Monday, February 16, 2009

Our Big Night Out

Tony and I celebrated our 14th Wedding Anniversary on Friday night by going out to Cape Fox for the entire evening. That would be "Friday...the 13th" if that is any indication of how it went. Just a word of advice...If you ever decide to stay at Cape Fox...DON'T...and I repeat DON'T let them put you in a "Mountain Room". When we first arrived...we were quite pleased with the room in general and the view of Deer Mountain was spectacular. However, we looked down to see a row of cars in a parking lot right below us. The words "Super 8" came to mind but I brushed it off because I still had high hopes for nothing less than a wonderful evening of "celebrating". I should have known better.

Maybe it's just ME...or maybe it's my AGE...but I just can't deal with NOISE any longer. And I NEED a good night's rest. Anyway, let me back up. We went to dinner as planned. We ordered our beverages and meals and we were excited! LOL!! Well...the waiter comes back shortly thereafter to tell us they are OUT of baked potatoes. OK...maybe it's just ME...but it's Friday night...7 pm...on one of the busiest weekends for a restaurant and you are OUT of baked potatoes??? This was NOT a good sign. No biggie, tho, I just ordered the "mash". Tony settled on Baby Reds. Whatever...we got over it. So...we proceed to talk about the events of the day and started on our salads that we ordered with dinner. Not too much longer after that the meal arrives. We start to dig in. Now...we BOTH ordered our steaks "Medium Rare". Mine was perfect...I had the Pepper Steak. It was divine. Tony on the other hand received a steak that was still so rare it was almost purple. Sigh. This happens to him all the time...it is frustrating. You know how it is to have to send something back. Well...he just couldn't eat it and I couldn't blame him. So, he sends it back...bless his heart. :) OK..so we are talking and I'm eating my perfect steak and he starts on his "sides" that the waiter was so gracious to bring back while they "fix" his steak. Not too much time goes by and steak #2 makes it's appearance. Lo and Behold...it's rare. Big Sigh. At this point...I'm thinking...what the hay?????? So we show the waiter...he is shocked. Back goes the steak. We feel terrible. We are nervous about what's coming next. Steak #3...third time's the charm...or so we hoped. OF COURSE...this time it's overcooked...AND not only that...it's a terrible piece of meat. It is full of grissle and HELLO!! It's not even seasoned. OK...maybe we are just "food snobs"...but even *I* know how to "season" a steak. For crying out loud. Sooooooooooo....we finish our meals and even order dessert. At least they gave Tony his Mud Pie for free to try and make up for the fiasco that was dinner. The bill was still ridiculous by the way....we could have made better steaks at home. SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!

So, we waddled back to the room after deciding it will be a cold day in you-know-where before we eat a fancy dinner up there again. It's just not worth it. Either that...or don't go up there on a busy weekend. We thought going on the 13th would help. We thought wrong.

Oh yeah...so back to "The Mountain Room". So we settle in for the night. Once again...high hopes. To make a long story short...someone's car alarm went off like 4 times. My acid reflux was flaring up b/c of all the dang food I ate. We got NO sleep. It was miserable. About 12:40 in the A.M. I said "Let's just go home..." Tony didn't "concur" so I tried to go back to sleep. I think I was up every hour on the hour. And I could have KILLED whoever kept setting off their car alarm. Yep...don't stay in the Mountain Room. It is doomed. :( My new take on Hotels is they are like hospitals. The beds are uncomfortable, there's never enough pillows, the TV sucks and you don't get any sleep. Not to mention...you start to hear doors slamming and vacuume cleaners at 7am...if not earlier. If I want THIS kind of experience...next time it *WILL* be the Super 8 y'all. Seriously.

Other than all that, tho, the company was GREAT. It didn't ruin our Anniversary. We just know better now what NOT to do next time. The moral of the story...next time...save money and STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! I hope all of you had a wonderful Valentine's Day (and anniversary for those of you that chose that day to get married on....hope you had better luck then we did!!!)

So there you have it. Hope you have a great week and I'll post more later. I have some new pics of my niece to share. She just turned 4 months. What a doll!!!!!!!!!!!

TTFN~ Nan XOX

P.S. One more thing...don't ever order the Sourdough Pancakes at Cape Fox for breakfast! In a word...NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably the same chef that made Tony's steak!!!! LOL! :)

2 comments:

sixwickerts said...

It was good to talk to you today! sorry your night was not utp to par!! I never was a fan of Cape Fox.....Salmon Falls is the best restaurant in my opinion! Try them next year :)

Karen said...

Hey Nan, sounds like you had a terrible time. I never stayed at Cape Fox but we ate there a few times. The food was never "great" but I feel for you. When it is a special night, there should be special food! Next time come to my house and we will fix you some good "seasoned" steaks!