Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Stuck

Well...Tony and I have always wondered what would happen if Tongass Highway was ever blocked off for any reason. We got our answer this morning! Just after 8am (Tony missed it by MINUTES!!) there was a "landslide" at Mile 5 North Tongass. As you can see from the pics...it's BAD! I was on my way to town and traffic was backed up around the corner from the car wash. This means it was backed up for at least a mile or so if my calculations are correct. I couldn't see what was going on so I called Jake's school to let them know we were running late. That's when I heard about the slide. My thoughts instantly went to my husband who had JUST driven in to work...then my friends I knew would be driving both north AND south that time of day. Praise the Lord, NO ONE was hurt or involved in the slide. My friend's boyfriend missed it by INCHES...he was the first "on scene" and saw it happen. I am so thankful he is OK. Anyway, I am stuck at home and Tony is stuck in town. Not sure what we are going to do. All I can say is my heart goes out to the people that own that house at the top. I'll keep you posted with how it all turns out. Word on the street is it could be a while before the hillside is deemed "stable" enough to let traffic through. SEE!! I KNEW we should have bought a BOAT!!!!! LOL!!! I would be at work right now! Just kidding!! :) Bye for now~ Nan XOX


4 comments:

sixwickerts said...

WOW!! Isn't that Bob & Laura Jacksons house? Kinds cook you get a few days off, but it could cause alot problems too....what about EMS and things like that? So...is Tony gonna make it home today? :)

Nanette said...

All is well. Tony made it home this afternoon. I stayed home all day to avoid getting stuck in town. I think they should have it "under control" by tomorrow. They've been letting traffic thru all day at different intervals but I want to make sure they deem the hillside "stable" before I head in. 2009 has been crazy so far!! You should have seen the pics of the ferry that beached itself! Anyway, I guess the house on the hillside is stable and not in danger of going over the side but I will get updates on here as I get them. EMS and the bus are getting thru just fine from what I hear. No worries!! :) TTFN~Nan

Karen said...

Now there is something you don't see every day! Wow, I always wondered what it would be like too. Now I guess you are going to find out. Glad to hear that Tony made it home safe. You need to update the link to our blog. www.dakotacountrykitchen.com
Happy living!

Nanette said...

Thanks for the reminder, Karen! I will do that tomorrow!! :) As of tonight's update...the road is clear in both directions so it is back to our normal routine tomorrow...unless the house decides to go over the cliff...Mercy!!! Let's pray THAT doesn't happen. :) Anyway, take care and I'll get caught up with your site tomorrow. Love Y'all!! Nan XOX